I came, I listened, I wrote

23/6/17  I came, I listened, I wrote

Today I attended a workshop on blogging with Katherine Baldwin hosted by Creative Women in Business and it suddenly struck me that I was even less sure about "why" or more so "what" I wanted to write about by the end of it. All I knew is that I seemed to have this growing rekindling for wanting to journal again but this time to "put it out there".

I guess I was always been interested in storytelling. Actually I've been fascinated by other people's stories for as long as I can remember. 

I once wrote. I created. A lot. My primary school teacher Ms Tinkew was the jolly inspiration that brought my imaginary characters to life in the form of short stories. I could already draw and loved art so I can remember clearly the day we were given cardstock, paper and markers to construct our own mini book that we were to spend the next term filling with creative writing. It was heaven - a moment that all my passions collided in one glorious project. I remember well the enthusiasm and careful commitment I put into making that little red book. I think the cover held a cutout of a some illustrations from an old Easter card. It wasn't long before I began to fill it with stories I'd created in class. Although I had imagination, I was less confident in my writing and preferred drawing. So it was only natural that I illustrated my stories. It didn't matter that no one else did, nor that it wasn't part of the assignment. I took my project very seriously and when inspiration took me I wrote and drew until my story was complete. I am still in awe of that little book today. Daddy still carries around the relic with him - pages yellowing and frail with age. Ah yes, dad was the keeper of my writing - letters, cards, poems, those early stories. Coincidentally only yesterday mum unearthed a hoard of drawings from the same era she's somehow managed to preserve. I have been blessed with parents that value my creativity. It means that now I can have something tangible to look back on to remind myself that I have it within me to write again. 

I'm not talking about becoming a writer or even producing anything worthy of being read by anyone else. I just want to write for the sake of it, for the sake of offloading the overwhelming number of thoughts that occupy...no, bombard my mind! It just simply gets too crowded in there.


So this is it, the start of what will hopefully grow into a new rewarding habit. Nothing grand, nothing weighted by obligation or any sense of grandeur, no expectations. just simply thoughts on a page. Raw and unedited. 

I came, I listened, I wrote! Thank you Katherine.

~Christel Toppin-Lovell


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feel the fear and face it!